ReadCaribbean: The Official Caribbean Literature Program of the Miami Book Fair
ReadCaribbean is an extensive series of readings and panel discussions, highlighting the vibrant and diverse literary culture of the Caribbean. It is a Miami Book Fair Year-Round program created with the support of John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and the Green Family Foundation.
For more information, contact M.J. Fievre, Program Coordinator, at 954-391-3398 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ReadCaribbean at the Miami Book Fair
- Miami Book Fair 2017
- Miami Book Fair 2016
First Draft: Ébauches & Banbòch
“First Draft: Ébauches & Banbòch” is a series of writing workshops conducted in a fun (banbòch!), supportive and professional environment. It serves as a platform for writers with French/Creole Caribbean ties and various levels of writing experience as they learn/sharpen effective writing techniques to give voice to stories about the Caribbean-American experience.
- Saturday, July 22| 6 – 8 p.m. First Draft with Mahalia Solages
- Saturday, March 25| 6 – 8 p.m. First Draft with Marie Ketsia Theodore-Pharel
- Saturday, February 25| 6 – 8 p.m. First Draft with Fabienne Josaphat
Other ReadCaribbean workshops:
- Tuesdays, September 19 – October 24 (6 weeks) | 7 – 9 p.m. Character Development with Fabienne Josaphat
Little Haiti Book Festival
Miami Book Fair is partnering with Sosyete Koukouy of Miami, Inc., to present the Little Haiti Book Festival. This book festival, which features two days of vibrant cultural exposure to writers, booksellers, performers, and more, is part of Miami Book Fair’s ReadCaribbean programming.
Articles about the Festival:
- 06/02/17 Hyperallergic: A Book Festival in Miami’s Little Haiti Seeks to Empower the Community
- 05/27/17 Channel 10: Miami Book Fair Hosts Little Haiti Book Festival
- 05/25/17 WLRN: Creole Language to Play Starring Role in Little Haiti Book Festival
- 05/25/17 The Knight Foundation: Miami’s Little Haiti Book Festival Celebrates Literature, Culture, and Community
- 05/24/17 Miami.com: Women to Challenge Gender Roles at Little Haiti Book Festival
- 05/18/17 Miami New Times: Little Haiti Book Festival Offers “a Deep Dive into Haiti Life through its Letters”
Books & Cinema
Ayiti Images, in partnership with Miami Book Fair’s ReadCaribbean, has launched Books & Cinema.
For the past several years, Ayiti Images has been using film as a platform to expose the greater South Florida community to a more positive and varied image about the Haitian experience. Films selected for the series are highly acclaimed and award-winning works capturing an authentic aspect of Haitian life. Many are by Haitian filmmakers
The concept of Ayiti Images was born from a desire to educate and project authentic voices that depict the Haitian experience from a humanistic perspective through film and dialogue. It is a traveling series that takes a film and its producer on the road throughout South Florida, with pit stops at six to seven neighborhoods within a few days. The series has inspired an opportunity to create a resource for these amazing films and the filmmakers behind it.
- Saturday, July 29| 1 – 3 p.m. My Father’s Land
- Saturday, June 24| 6 – 8 p.m. Toussaint Louverture
- Sunday, May 28| 2 – 3 p.m. On the Verge of a Fever
- Friday, May 5| 6 – 8 p.m. Toussaint Louverture
Articles about Books & Cinema:
- 04/28/17 L’Union Suite: Ayiti Images and ReadCaribbean Present Special Screening of Toussaint Louverture
“Caribbean: Illuminate!” is a series of unflinching, provocative, maybe uncomfortable, but definitely inspiring round tables focused on Caribbean literature and history. Caribbean authors will discuss their work, along with their lived and inherited experiences, in order to illuminate reality and take the audience on a journey through the many chapters of modern Caribbean life/history.
- Saturday, April 22| 6 – 8 p.m. French Guyana and Haiti