Crabs and vegetables… This is one of my husband’s favorite dishes. I don’t often play house but sometimes, hey, I’ll put on a cute bib and cook with my high heels on.
You will need:
6 Chayote Squash, peeled, cored, and chopped
Eggplants, peeled and chopped
1 Bunch of Watercress, chopped
2 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped
4 Scallions, chopped
1 Onion, diced
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Large Green Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 Head Cabbage, chopped
Ribs and pork legs (seasoned the night before) and crabs
For the seasoning:
3-4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Clove, ground
1 Bouillon Cube
Spoonful Tomato Paste
1. Put the meat in a pot to broil.
2. Season the crabs and put them to broil in another pot.
3. Place all vegetables in a deep pot, along with some cooking oil. The chayote should go at the bottom of the pot, while the eggplant and watercress should go toward the top. DO NOT ADD WATER. The vegetables will sweat out their own water.
4. Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. When the vegetables are cooked, put the pot away from the stove; mash vegetables with a pestle.
6. Add seasoning.
7. Add meat and crabs to the pot.
8. Cover and let simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
9. Serve with white rice and plantains.
2 thoughts on “MJ’s Legim ak Sirik: A Haitian Recipe”
We are so right there with you about how blessed we are by our woerdnful Haitian children! Stanley is celebrating his 10 year “coming home” anniversary Nov 13th – right behind Hope and Isaac. Our precious angels have grown into such awesome young people since their orphanage days, and our families are soooo blessed. Here’s to the miracle of adoption 🙂 Congratulations!