I made a delicious blanc-manger coco when Mother visited for Christmas last year, and I thought I’d share the recipe.
I learned to make the dessert in Port-au-Prince, but it’s also very popular in other French Caribbean countries such as Guadeloupe and Martinique.
You will need:
One (1) tsp pure vanilla extract
One (1) 12 oz can evaporated milk
One (1) can condensed milk
Two (2) 12 oz. can coconut milk
One (1) 12 oz. can fruit cocktail
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
3 pks gelatin
1 inch lime zest
- Completely dissolve the gelatin in 3/4 cup of boiled water.
- Place evaporated and condensed milk in a large saucepan. Add sugar then bring to a boil.
- Add cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, and lime zest to mixture. Stirring constantly and until smooth.
- Add gelatin to milk mixture. Stir.
- Add coconut milk. Add sugar. Stir.
- Drain fruit cocktail and add fruits to mixture. Stir.
- Mix well and place in a large bowl. Allow to cool and set.
- Refrigerate for at least a 6 hours prior to serving.